Tuesday, May 13, 2003

I went to see WINGED MIGRATION a couple of nights ago. For anyone who doesn't know, it's a poetic documentary film about migrating birds. I was very stirred by it, and on many different levels. In that respect it was like everything else these days.
The remarkable thing about the film is the proximity they achieved to the birds. The filmakers literaly accompamnied the birds in ultra-light aircraft, as they laboured on their migratory paths. I'd seen footage on TV of such unlikely flying comrades: Sometime in the last ten years, human-animal understanding advanced astonishingly. A thought flashed across my mind two-thirds of the way through the movie, that if given enough time people would one day be able to communicate with animals, as well as we communicate with one another. That's if the animals are not all dead first.
For myself I've learned so much about dogs since I adopted Baby, my sheperd/labrador dog. When i raised my last dog, in the late eighties, no one knew anything about separation anxiety - the fact that dogs should not be left alone. A guy I know here in L.A. has two timber wolves, which he strictly refers to as *hybrid dogs*; that meaning lupus/canus mongrels. From him I learned that there's a whole system of establishing dominance wolves, and mainaining it. It's a language, as much as any other. Now with the www, even seriously marginal people can have user-groups, share knowledge... It saves a lot of reinventing the wheel. Instead you can get right to the good stuff.
So this guy with the wolves was telling me that there are signs you have to understand, which indicate that the wolf is getting ready to step. One sign is lying in doorways; another clue is the animal beginning to pass through doorways ahead of you. It'll build up, and then you have to, as he explained to me; "Put him in an alpha roll."
O.K. Here we've got some weird dog/man militia, supermax, gangster stuff. Read on.

An alpha-roll is when you put the animal on his back, and pin all four of his legs, so that he cannot kick, scratch or roll-over. Then, you hold tuck his chin down towards his chest. Thus all his weapons are cancelled, and he's ready to be your bitch again. I actually do something similar with my dog, when he's being more of a butt-knuckle than usual.




No comments: