Thursday, September 09, 2004

Here' something interesting. The bible. I try to do this prescribed read-the-bible-in-two-years program as doggedly as I can. But the truth is I miss more often than I get around to it. Two weeks may go by, and then I find the day's date in the two year guide. I open the book and see what I find. Yesterday was cool.

The First Book of Corinthians. Yesterday's reading assignment was chapter XIII. And it just goes to show you that you never know what you'll stumble upon in the bible. This is choice.

Chapter 13

Though I speak with the
tongues of men and of angels,
and have not charity, I am become
as sounding brass, or a tinkling
cymbal.

Great opener. Especially when you're used to more of the old testament. Unintelligible stories and the endless listing of names of men. Beth-al hashan, and ul-tikash, and their sons balderdash-I-one, himme-dezmo, and Choppah-maxwell. Just having read that first passage. the opening paragraph. I knew I was lit up by Corinthians. It goes on.

2 And though I have the gift of
prophecy, and understand all mys-
teries, and all knowledge; and
though I have all faith, so that I
could remove mountains, and have
not charity, I am nothing.

You trying to tell us something here? About charity? It goes on. Emphasizing the point. You're nothing if you haven't charity. Nothing. It speaks across time. Looks you right in the eye. Motherfucker. Several verses down it takes an altogether different direction.

10 But when that which is perfect
is come, then that which is in part
shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as
a child, I understood as a child, I
thought as a child: but when I
became a man, I put away childish
things.

(so that's where that's from! It was neat to find it in the book of Corinthians)

12 For now we see through a glass,
darkly; but then face to face: now I
know in part; but then shall I know
even as also I am known.

For now we see through a glass darkly. Ain't that the fucking truth. I've been trying to read the bible for near two years. I think I finally got it.

No comments: