Sunday, January 22, 2006

98 VTR 1000 Superhawk - unusual and fast V-twin. - $3800 (Silverlake)

Date: 2006-01-22, 12:58AM PST

I hate having to do this, but I'm parting with my 1998 Superhawk. It has 27,500 miles on it, 19,000 of which I put on. It's a sweet city bike. Lots of torque and power. This is a motorcyle for a relatively experienced and confident rider. Definitely not a first bike. But a great street machine and freeway flyer. Long and heavy (420lbs) the superhawk can travel over anything. It's got big simple carbs, and a seriously strong starter. It is 100% reliable. Trustworthy in all conditions. This bike has been a lifesaver for me. I had to learn a lot of discipline and restraint with that big motor. But the controls are benign. The braking is phenomenal. It's fast and fun and real head turner. Everyone checks it out.

Notice in pics: M4 titanium hi-mount dual exhausts. I'v never seen another Superhawk set up like this. The bike rumbles into town. You can make flames come out the back. It also has an unusual blue/yellow side by side German headlight. Very autobahn and slick. The unusual plastics are a mix of '98 reds and '99 yellows. Very snappy and Italian-looking. No one can figure out what it is. Everybody likes it. Even cops.

Highly contrasting colors and the bass rumble give it a lot of presence. Especially on the freeway. V-twin is slender in design. Handles like a Ducati. Speedo cluster is 1/3 again as narrow as CBR. The thing is like a bicycle. It flyyyyyyyyyyys.

There are a couple of cosmetic issues. Driveway dings, not at all glaring. And it's always been garaged. Very clean. Salvage title, came with it when I got it. Previous owner rebuilt the bike after it was crashed. But I've put it through the paces and I ain't lying. I'll stake my life on it. New brake pads six months ago. Always used synthetic oil.

this is in or around Silverlake

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests127417401

No comments: