Sunday, May 14, 2006

I've noticed that some things have begun to change here in Los Angeles. With respect to the immigration reform movement. If you want to call it that. I would say that here in Los is where the immigration rights movement is strongest. And this is where the debate runs hottest.

I think I can say that I live right in the heart of the movement. I mean - SoCal right? L.A. county. The east side of Hollywood. I live right smack in it. And then the fault lines run right across my property. Or really the tectonic plates abutt my prpoperty line. Three feet from my head when I lay down to sleep.

Sometimes I think the lines really do run right through my head. Here in my neigborhood I speak Castillian almost as much as I do English. I get along really well with mexcians. And everyone knows I like to jive in Spanish. I can easily say that Mexicans are one of the things I like best about L.A. But then as a yank I got my differences with them too. But everyone experiences that in L.A. This city is an awesome example of racial harmony. But then again there are too many people to all be gotten along with in L.A. You're going to get a certain amount of mean, racist talk from everybody. About everybody.

I began by saying I'd noticed something changing around here. This whole debate about immigrant's rights and the future of the undocumented/illegals (mojados as the Mexicans call them). I would say that people notice now that something is going on. The day to day interactions I experience with L.A.'s poblacion imigrante suddenly seem self-conscious. I would not say there's any showing of hostility between peoples. L.A. is its cool self. But they know now - the Mexicans know - that this thing is going to go down. And I think I can feel the hurt coming on.
As the saying goes: America is a land of laws. And now they are starting to engage. Like gear wheels and teeth.

I thought that the protests and immigrant strikes where impressive. But at the same time I saw for the first time that I do not relate to demonstrations and large groups meeting in order to advance whatever aims. It's just something I never really felt comfortable with. In the past when walked in marches and protests, I always wondered if I shouldn't be doing more. I felt like I needed to be more physical - more expressive. I would always hope no one took my picture. I just didn't feel convinced enough of anything.

Marching in a mass in such a mannner, I believe now, runs counter to the North American way of interacting. It's simply too expressive - marching in a group and chanting slogans. It's not cool. It's hot.
Of course there have been exceptions to this. The 60s and the old school labor battles in Chicago and San Francsico. I don't think that public protest is wrong. It just feels too hot. I think it must be a Mediterranean Roman Catholic trait. This taking it to the streets with banners, or manning the barricades. It's all about a big showing. I don't believe that public marching is intrinsic to this part of the world. Maybe because were afraid that while we protest in the street someone else is taking our gig. Moving in on the the litte numbers racket we getting over on. Show me the money dude.

America is very masculine in character. It's got this whole put your money where your mouth is - red state, materialist alienation. Let's just say they don't like goddamn fancy-pants city slickers trying to get over on 'em. On the othe hand Mexico is a senorita. She loves to be flirted with. Anyone will tell you that Mexicans love a storytellor. Or any kind of impresario. Down there you can pull stunts that would get your ass kicked in, here in the states. Mexico is very sociable. Like a woman. The American archetype is more like a strapping, salt and pepper, crewcut hardnose. He's a guy with a flat stomach and a white T-shirt tucked in. Doing situps with his feet jammed under the bed.
Mexico is romantic and sexual. The essence of her is the smell of the sea and perfume. Mexico's richness is intangible compared to the states. She's a hot chick with an empty pocket book

And the senorita comes to the stoic, ex-marine every night. No one ever mentions it, but everyone knows about it. They should just get married. But instead it appears they are headed for a break up.

No comments: