Tuesday, July 02, 2002

Well, we're finally putting the finishing touches on the bathroom job in Oakland. What a pain in the ass that is; a tiny little worksite in the oven-like heat of the attic. I don't know when I got to be so patient with this kind of work. Everything is slow, painstaking "put your fist through a sheet of plywood and bend the level across your knee" shit. Plumbing, electrical, drywall and taping... All the guys in this business seem to be fucked up. Greg, the plumber, is like some hardcore biker, with the plumber's ass and all. For lunch we actually had pizza, an exotic change from the usual super-burritos we eat in Rich's driveway. And there's always more houses to remodel: It never ends.
Tomorrow, if I'm able to finish up in Potrero Hill, I'll be a hell of a lot closer to having all this stuff out of the way, and actually having my life back. My punch list includes - sanding down a single floorboard I had to replace, and then sealing and polyurethaning it. Then I have to wire up the dishwasher plug - then I have to install the range hood, and find a away to run the ducting up through the grisly Victorian attic and (by some miracle) out to the atmosphere. Then, if it's not midbnight yet, I'll put an 8' level across the wavy counter I installed, and take a beltsander to it, so that it conforms to the rigorous tolerances of the Corian Counter company (those fuckin' sons of bitches) All i wantis to get paid for this one and WALK away
But it's a living. I don't know, I need a change here . So it's onvious i have nothing to talk about but construction stuff. I'll leave it alone, for my sake as well as yours.

No comments: